Optimize the performance of your HVAC system and enjoy a lower energy bill with proper ductwork.
Sealing leaky air ducts prevents the loss of valuable heating and cooling that accounts for up to 45% of your energy usage.
Why duct sealing helps your home.
Your duct system distributes conditioned air throughout your home. No matter how energy efficient your HVAC is, leaky ductwork results in a higher monthly energy bill. Properly sealed ducts are key to keeping heating and cooling costs manageable, plus:
- It improves indoor air quality.
- It prolongs the life of HVAC units and makes them less noisy.
- It ensures less dust in the home.
Getting a head start at home? Keep the following do’s and dont’s in mind to prep ductwork for a professional.
- The largest leaks, including disconnected ducts and missing end caps, first.
- The areas of highest pressure, including the air handler and air-mixing plenums.
- The entire return duct system, except for hard pipe seams.
Don’t forget to:
- Verify that your duct system is correctly sized.
- Mechanically fasten sheet metal and flexible ducts, and mechanically fasten and seal new ducts with mastic paste or mastic tape.
- Seal ducts with UL 181 approved mastic or mastic tape directly on the duct before applying insulation. Don’t use regular duct tape.
Most importantly, once your ducts are properly sealed, don’t forget to check the duct system quarterly for any damage or little things that need repairing.